Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Centerfold

Not everyone can say that their Mom is a centerfold, but I can. A local magazine, B Metro, did an article on certain teachers that have touched the lives of their students. Several of my Mom's students nominated her and she was chosen to be featured.

Letters about my Mom were submitted, a photoshoot was done, and the article was written. Finally, this month the issue came out. My Mom worried so much about the picture, but I think it turned out great. Tonight there was a reception for the teachers and students that were featured in the article. Luckily, I was able to attend and got to witness the additional interviews that were being done on each teacher and student.

I watched 4 of the students that my Mom taught 20 years ago get put on the spot and answer questions about how my Mom affected their lives. I will admit I got a little misty eyed. It made me so proud to hear how highly these people thought of my Mom and she touched their lives. I know she's wonderful and a genius, but others do too. My Mom taught these students for one year and in that one year they realized how amazingly smart she is. It took me approximately 21 years to come to that same conclusion. Sad, I know, but don't most kids think they know everything and that their parents know nothing?

This honor was well deserved and I know that my Mom is an incredible teacher. She's always one of the first ones to arrive and the last one to leave the school everyday. She truly cares about each child she has in her class. She has a gift. Now, if she could just figure out what she wants to be when she grows up:)

No comments:

Post a Comment